Thursday, 15 May 2014

Busy Times....

Let me blow the dust off around here.....there.  That's better!

I've been busy! In addition to life with three young children and school schedules and the like, I've hosted my own jewellery show at home, done a local farmer's market, and done a show hosted by my mother-in-law all in the space of a month - and for me, that's a really big deal =)

What have I learned?  Well, an unseasonably warm and sunny April day makes for fewer people at a spring jewellery show hosted at home, but I certainly won't complain about sunshine.  A good time was had by all, and a dear friend of mine kindly offered to bring her harp (!!!) over to my house to play during the course of my show.  How fantastic is that?  It was purely out of the kindness of her heart, and it made for such a lovely ambience.

Here's the kind of day it was on the day of my home show.....

....and here's the set up!
Even more fun was that my talented Mum joined me.  She's made amazing knitted and crocheted clothing for us as children (and as adults!), and she makes beautiful things for my own children.  But she's been adding to her repertoire by creating little crocheted critters!  I've already started collecting some...

As for the farmer's market, I'd done two of them before Christmas, and this one was no different.  Not a lot in the way of sales, but I handed out plenty of business cards and chatted with lots of people.  Never a bad thing!  I won't be doing more of these markets, because I don't think my work quite fits in with it (lots of people with young kids...there's not much time for leisurely perusing of one of a kind creations with small children in tow!), but they were fun, and they also made me realize I need to work on my display a bit more - things like raising my table, finding new ways to hang my necklaces, putting out fewer items etc.  These were good learning experiences!

The sale hosted by my mother-in-law was a really successful one.  She'd done a marvelous job in getting the word out about the sale, and many lovely ladies visited throughout the day and went home happy with their purchases.  It's so interesting to see what people choose for themselves or for gifts. 
It's also fun setting up in someone else's home (no house cleaning to do, unlike when I host my own!) and seeing how best to display the jewellery.

So what now? Well, one of the things I really need to get down to is to working on adding more items to my etsy shop and improving the photos of items I've already listed.  Slowly but surely I'll get there.  There's always the challenge of finding time to actually create pieces as well as all of the business end of things, as WELL as my real life as a busy Mum!  (Wouldn't have it any other way, by the way!).

And I have managed to create some pieces lately that I'm really happy with.....








Apart from being springy or summer pieces, do you notice a theme with all of these different pieces?  If you guessed colour, you're spot on.  Guess what my next blog post will be about? =)

And I promise I'll try to get to it sooner so it doesn't become essay like in length!

 I'll leave you with one last photo - this is the view I get to look at with the back door open on a warm, sunny spring day as I sit at the kitchen table creating....

Not bad, eh? I hope you're all enjoying a lovely, creative spring, too =)

2 comments:

  1. Hope the weather is like this most days, Liona :) You seem to have a lovely spot to do your creating :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not all the time Monique, but we've had a really nice spell lately =) Good weather inspires creativity, I think!

    ReplyDelete